24 January 2011

Tears for Fears breaks it down on the East Coast, 2010

Missed seeing The Smithereens a few months back, but I failed to report that on 4 SEP, I saw the demi-god megaband of the 80s TEARS FOR FEARS. Probably only Duran Duran and Depeche Mode rank higher in new wave.
Setlist will be up soon, but looks like they haven't switched it much show to show:

   Check this - http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/tears-for-fears-63d6ba37.html
Do they ever switch up setlists? Gimme some b-sides!

   What was it like in there? 1500 people (2:1 pumas)! I slammed a couple tequilas next door and threw open the doors in slow-mo, like in time with the famous scene from 'Donnie Darko'

   They did a Billie Jean cover in addition to their regular stuff, venue was small, fans went nuts. Got a t-shirt with the 'Happy Ending' '04 logo (their first album in their anthology since parting ways in the '90s - I remember how excited I was picking that album up and cutting through the trees of the naval hospital grounds in Yoko, cold day, headphones on) and an autographed poster for framing (covered up the "Norfolk" with my ticket stub).  Roland talked about all the great bennies in the Norva, including hot tub, and a basketball court. Basketball court?!?!



   Of five bands I always was dying to see in a lifetime, this was the fifth of five (The Fixx, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, The Church, and now TFF. Cause and Effect would be a sixth), a kind of finish line for an emotional, milestone year.  It's hard for me to be able to let emotions crowd into me on demand, or at times.  I figured I was supposed to have this Nirvana-like feeling and the set was already halfway over.  "This is it, and it's not working."  I was wondering what was wrong; I'd built all this expectation for months that I would finally see the reclusive TFF play a show. The band that randomly showed up in San Diego a few years back and charged a staggering $100 or so to get into a tiny yachting venue. 

   Mind you, we've known songs like 'Head Over Heels' and 'Shout' since early in grade school which have remained popular and taken on personal meaning over time. Gin and tonic doing nothing; and looking around at shows like this - you see people just really getting into it, waving their hands and etc., y'know? (Most men I know have been non-dancy guys since the awkward meat market days in college, and put it away, thankfully.)  Nagging feeling: would I appear like a hippie or religious-rocker if I'd just let myself disarm a bit?  So I just waded my way into the middle of the crowd and visualized my own little 'awakening' which kind of work.  And by that time, Roland was leading off the anthemic Break it Down Again and started saluting, which I thought was really cool (was it the cadence of the song, or being in Norfolk, or part of the routine?).  Did this strike a chord with anyone else? 



Tears For Fears - Break It Down Again

No comments: